Friday, May 27, 2005

Help the girls out

I forgot to mention I watched an Oprah episode last week about bras. I definitely know the importance of a good bra, but the expert they had on the episode seemed to go against all my bra beliefs.

I was once measured at Victoria's Secret because the girl didn't believe me when I said I was a 34 DD. I saw the defeat in her eyes when she found out I was correct. Neener neener! (The gals at What Not to Wear helped me with making the girls look a little smaller. Ha!)

Anyway the expert on Oprah was telling some women they were 32 G! Hello?! G? What the hell am I then? The expert did make a good point that you might want to measure a little lower than right under the breast so the band stays down low and doesn't ride up. But who the hell sells 32 G?! Or 32 DD for the matter! Anyway, here are some of the tips the expert said.

Where to Wear Your Bra

According to Susan, the perfect position for your breasts is midway between your shoulders and your elbows. And your bra should be level front to back. Susan says most women wear their bra bands too high on their torsos and throw their measurements off. "Most women," Susan says, "keep going up in the back [increasing their band size] instead of getting a deeper cup. We want to keep the back lean and small so we can lift the bust. [The bra band is] like a bridge, if it's properly planted at the base, it can lift."

Susan says there are obvious clues your bra is the wrong size:


  • If your cups runneth over, it's time to go up a cup size.
  • If your cups dimple, it's time to go down a cup size.
  • If you have the dreaded back fat, you probably think your bra is too tight, but you're wrong—your bra is too big. Wearing the bra lower on your back with a smaller band size will completely eliminate the back fat.
  • If your strap falls down, that means your bra band is riding up and you probably need to go down a band size.

I said screw it because there is no way I'm finding a 32 DD or F! Instead I bought four new bras (34 DD thank you) online at Victoria's Secret because they are having an awesome sale. I unfortunately can rarely find my size in the actual store.

Also, Oprah showed these fantastic sports bras for more endowed women. They are a little expensive, but I'm willing to pay a little more in order to get less bounce! Ha!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Well. Trinny and Susannah kick butt. I too am in the DD as you know. The 36 DD. It is horrendous finding bras, isn't it? Especially ones that don't look like someone 80 should be wearing it. What I left out of my step class rant is that my sports bra does NOTHING and i bounce bounce bounce like crazy. Like I might get hit in the face. I need a new one.
VS is good online. I can try them on at the store and find the style I like and then buy the colors I want online. And when you find one you like you have to buy many. My mom got me some for Xmas, 4 of the same one. Hurrah!

Lisa said...

Hey. Last night I wore TWO bras for step class and it helped. One regular one and a sports bra over it.

Lisa said...

um, hello?? can we get some action on this here blog??