Friday, October 19, 2007

Breastfeeding for 11 weeks!


I've made it to 11 weeks with breastfeeding Madeleine. It took a lot of hard work at the beginning, but now it's cake, and I love it so much. I'm so glad I was determined to make this work no matter what. And we did have our issues with flat nipples (TMI), nipple shields, books and message boards making me feel guilty about the nipple shield, weaning from the nipple shield, talking and meeting with three different lactation consultants, over a month's worth of thrush, acid reflux, overactive letdown (and for those of you who don't know what that is, just watch out when you're sitting across from me when I'm nursing. You might get milk in your eye!) oversupply, and let's not forget a somewhat colicky baby.

But things are great now. And I love the moments where I'm lying there with her and she's looking at me with so much love in her eyes. I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting to have that amazing bond with their child. Only I can give her this experience, and I'm going to take full advantage of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm going to start a study to track the traits of "sensitive" (or colicky) babies. riley, too, had thrush (we finally had to do diflucan bc that sticky nystatin didn't do the job), reflux(axid/zantac/pepcid/
mylanta), emergency lactation consultant visits, etc. hmmm. i'm so impressed that you've stuck w the brstfding. i agree; it is miraculous.
donnah

Melissa Greenfield said...

Donnah, are we living parallel lives? LOL!

Owen said...

yay boobs!

florence said...

it is so worth the struggle in the beginning! congrats for sticking with it!