Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Happy Knit Year!

So I've been knitting up a storm recently. I managed to knit my family some scarves, although I don't expect them to wear them. I just did it as a fun project really.

This first scarf was for my sister-in-law. It's a skinny scarf knitted out of cotton. I realized how unforgiving cotton was once I was done with it. It definitely doesn't hide any mistakes.


I knitted three of these scarves. One for my mom (hi, mom, I know you found this through Lisa's site :) ) one for my grandmother, and one for my mother in law. It uses some Lion Brand Homespun ( a yarn I realize I don't like) and some suede yarn as well as a fun fur. It was fun to experiment with, and it's cool if people don't actually wear it.



This next scarf was knit with Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick. I made two of these, one for my dad and one for my brother. They were quick to knit, but weaving in the ends from all the stripes took almost the same amount of time.



This "Flower Pot" purse I knit and felted for Lisa. I also knit a little flower to go on it. It probably should be lined inside, but I haven't figured out how to do that by hand yet (I don't have a sewing machine). This was really fun to knit, although I'm not sure it's really practical for Lisa. Ha! Oh well, she can hang it on a door knob or something. :)



Once I told my mom that I was knitting a felted bag for Lisa, she said she wanted one too. So I knit this blue one really quickly for her. I think I would have liked to do a different design, but I was sort of crunched for time. My mom said she lined it with some fabric and put a velcro closure inside. I'm interested in seeing how it turned out.






I knitted this fingerless glove with some leftover yarn. I call it my computer glove because it keeps my "mouse hand" warm.



I'm knitting this scarf right now that has a really cool cross hatch design. The picture I took is blurry though, but you get the idea.
I'm also knitting a wrap around sweater with some really cool boucle my brother and sister-in-law gave me for Christmas. I ran out of the yarn though and I'm having a touhg time finding the same color.

So when I was talking with my mom about what she was doing with the purse I made, she said she thinks I should make my own purses and sell them. I think that would be really fun, but I would have to come up with my own designs since these are patterns that I followed and therefore copyrighted. So although I wouldn't just start this tomorrow, I think it would be something interesting to try. I've been visiting this website called Craftster
which is now my favorite site ever. Anyways, I found that people haven't had much success selling things on Ebay (and I did a little research myself without much luck either), but I did find this awesome site called Etsy. It seems much less expensive than Ebay. Anyway, I know my brother could design a cool logo or something, and I can also get cheap business cards if need be. Plus I could just get the word out. Anyway, just thoughts going through my head. What do you think?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

well, after getting the cool purse i decided that my new years resolution is to learn to knit. so how do i learn to knit, miss knitter?

Melissa Greenfield said...

OOoooo! You so should. It's fun, yet can be very expensive. Check out www.knittinghelp.com they have lots of videos to get you started. I also use the Stich 'N Bitch book because it has the techniques as well as cool patterns. Then I also have a bazillion links to knitting websites and free patterns too. Plus! You can go to your local craft store and take a free "learn to knit" class.

Ok I'm a big dork.

Laura said...

I LOVE the bags that you made!!! I'm so impressed by how well you knit... that stuff looks great!! I'm encouraging my mom to sell some of her stuff too... I think you should do it! She rented a table at a craft fair this year and sold some bags there... they were all bags from copyrighted patterns. Maybe she was breaking the law:)