Monday, July 30, 2007

Today's the day..... or not.

Well today is my due date. Yippee. Unfortunately there hasn't been much sign of progress and it's never good when your OB at your last appointment says "We can talk about induction dates at the next appointment". I really would prefer not to be induced especially if my body isn't showing any signs of laboring (right now I'm not dilated and the baby is still high up) because those labors can be very long and can end up in a c-section. It seems like she'll let me go until next Thursday, Aug. 9 which works for me.

I'm still hoping for the full moon to help get things going. It was full last night and there have been studies that show many women will have their water break around that time. I'm all for that.

Also, if you haven't voted in "the poll", I moved it over to under my profile. I find it funny that I've had 8 votes yet over 100 visitors since then. I know some are repeats but there are many that aren't. So if you don't know me, don't be bashful about voting. It makes things more interesting.

So to get labor going, I found this article online about eggplant parmesan. This restaurant boasts that over 300 women have gone into labor within 48 hours of eating their eggplant parmesan. They will even give you a free meal gift certificate if it doesn't work. It sounded pretty good, so Mr. Ellis and I took it upon ourselves to make the recipe. We had no idea what we were in for.

This is the tomatoes boiling in preparation for the marinara sauce.

This is after Mr. Ellis cut up THREE eggplants that the recipe called for. It said to weigh them down with something for an hour.
This is the marinara sauce once it had all the spicy goodness added to it. Although I would say it could use a little less crushed red pepper flakes since I found it almost too spicy and couldn't enjoy the other flavors (I'm sure Lisa would disagree!).


This is the beginning of the eggplant frying.
This is after an HOUR of eggplant frying, and we were only halfway through.
These are all the eggplant slices we had left to fry!
This is when I finally finished all the layers and topped it off with the 1.5 LB of mozzarella cheese.
And this is the finished product.
It was quite tasty although as Mr. Ellis commented, he didn't think it was so great that it needed 3 1/2 hours of preparation! It's almost like a eggplant parmesan lasagna. There is so much cheese, so you'll either have a baby with this or a major heart attack. Either way, you're guaranteed to end up in the hospital.

(By the way, these pictures were taken with our new Canon S5is. We had a Canon G3, and we still really like it but this has more megapixels and we originally thought of getting a video camera, but decided against it and looked for a higher quality camera that takes movies as well. We looked into the G7, but for $100 more we didn't think we were getting much more for our money. We also looked at the Sony DSC-H9/B that Lisa uses but ultimately we were more used to using the Canon menu and interface, although it was a very tough decision.)

2 comments:

Owen said...

Well, it looks tasty! I agree though, I judge things on whether they were worth the time put into making them. Usually they are not.

I totally agree with sticking with what you know. Speaking as someone who has always had Sony cameras and knows how they work. Its hard to learn something new!

Jen Vogelsong said...

Oooo -- watch out -- you're gonna have a little Leo! If your baby comes on Aug. 5 you'll never have an excuse for forgetting when my birthday is!

I'll wait till after baby comes to tell you the story of my sister being induced. :)