Thursday, November 02, 2006

And this is why I hate bugs

So I should start off by saying I'm not a fan of most bugs. I can handle mosquitoes and the occasional lady bug, but other than that, not a fan. I'm especially afraid of bees, hornets, wasps and other stinging insects.

So on Tuesday I spotted what I thought was a wasp near the ceiling of my bedroom. Now normally I would run out of the room screaming, close the door shut, and wait for Mr. Ellis to come home and get it. Unfortunately, Mr. Ellis was gone for the night in Chicago, and I was going to have to solve this problem, otherwise I was sleeping on the couch.

Now luckily hornets are usually half dead by this time of the year, and they're just looking for a place to get warm. So I was brave enough to go back in the room and take a closer look. Upon inspecting this slow crawling insect, I notice it wasn't a hornet at all but a scary long bug with lots of legs and big antennae.

Here is a poorly drawn version of the scary bug in its actual size:

This presented a whole new dilemma. I had no idea what kind of bug this was, thusly I had no idea what kind of super powers it had. My belief is all bugs have super powers and usually try to trick you into believing it cannot do certain things such as leaping, flying, biting, stinging, revealing hidden wings, turning into a completely different bug altogether. My feeling was that since this bug was crawling so slow it certainly had a hidden super power. I felt it was most likely "leaping off of the wall at me to tear my face off". Well maybe not tear my face off, but certainly to scare the heck out of me that I would remain paralyzed in the fetal position in my room until Mr. Ellis came home.

So upon the suggestion of a friend, I tried spraying hair spray at it hoping it would shrivel up and die. Now this probably would have worked wonderfully except I couldn't get myself to stand any closer than about ten feet away and my hair spray probably had a radius of about five feet. So I just ended up with a whole lot of hair spray landing on my carpet and bed. I then turned to air freshener, which definitely had a greater radius, but seemed to have little effect other than have the bug fall off the ceiling consequently making me scream. I continued to spray for another 30 seconds, but this bug seemed to be not affected. It did manage to crawl back down into our heating vent were I was hoping it was going to die. But subconsciously my theory had changed on what super power it had. I suspected it didn't have the "leaping off the wall at me to tear my face off" super power, but a much worse super power: "armor of steel that could quite possibly help it survive through nuclear war." This is definitely the most troublesome super power since without me probably setting it on fire, I was not going to be able to kill it. But I managed to sleep on Mr. Ellis's side of the bed with the covers over my head hoping it would not come out to get me.

But I should have known better that it wouldn't come back. As I went into my bedroom today and picked up my cat Betty, I found the bug underneath her. Of course the bug was still alive because my cats don't like to actually kill the things they find, they just like to watch them and maybe paw at them a couple times.

I tried to turn Betty around and have her look at the bug again, telling her to "Go get it!". But all she did was sniff at my finger and then felt things were getting too weird and crawled under the bed. So I grabbed my other cat, Domino, off the bed and put him near the bug. After turning around a bit and looking at me with the "what is going on lady?" look, I had to forcibly put his head right above it for him to notice. Of course, he only stared a bit and then meandered off.

I again tried in vain with the air freshener, hairspray, and even Tilex bath cleaner all to no avail. And I'm saying I poured these things on the bug, but it still crawled around on the carpet. It eventually made it up to my cats' scratching post. At this point I figured I had a good enough angle to hit it with a rolled up magazine. Although I didn't want to get as close as I had to, and I feared it would stick to the magazine I was holding, I felt I had no option. I hit it twice and it still was moving, so I reared back and gave one last smack. And so far it has remained motionless for the last 2 hours.

But I don't give up hope that it will come back to life after the stunning effects of the pummeling wear off...

17 comments:

smurp said...

I hate them too. You should keep a bottle of RAID on hand. That'll get 'em every time. I think they even make a "girly" version with a long neck and super long projection so you don't have to get close to the bug.

Lisa said...

OMG. This is a nightmare scenario you've described here: horrifying insect + husband on business trip. Its the perfect storm of bug issues. You know very well how I would have reacted, and it would also have been with screaming. And possibly calling my friends begging them to come over and do something about it. I would not have been able to sleep in that bedroom without sedation. I would have definately moved over to the other bedroom for the night, so you're a better woman than I. That one definitely looked like it had the 'revealing hidden wings' superpower which leads to 'random and uncontrollable flying into your face'.

Anonymous said...

One technique I use, especially on cave crickets because they jump AT you, is to drag out the vacuum cleaner and the extra long hose attachment. I'm sure I have many bugs that died amongst my dust bunnies.

Melissa Greenfield said...

So when I spoke with my husband about the bug last night, he called them "chink" bugs or something like that. He said that's the thing he's been trying to kill in our back yard. I immediately disposed of this information because I do NOT want to know there are more like this.

Anyway, he said they do have hidden wings and that they can fly! I couldn't believe it. I knew in my heart though that this thing had that ability.

And Adrienne, I'm totally using your technique next time. I completely forgot about the vacuum!

Lisa said...

Here's the thing that concerns me about the vacuum approach: is the bug really going to die in there? or are you just prolonging your exposure to it, so that it can fly in your face as soon as you go to empty the vacuum? We have a Dyson, so it doesn't have a bag, you just press this button and voila! Usually I'm quite a huge fan of this bagless approach, but a bag would really help with this whole bug issue.
I'm pretty happy because our cats actually consume the insects they play with. Works out for everyone.

Anonymous said...

With the length of time it takes me to fill up a vacuum bag (which I chose over a Dyson because Consumer Reports told me to and I have no brain of my own), the bugs are definitely dead by the time I change the bag. And I guess with a Dyson, as long as you wait a day or two the bug should perish on its own.

Annie said...

The thing about those big scary bugs (which my mom calls "palmetto bugs" - come on, let's not lie, they're BIG OLD FREAKY ROACHES) is that if you squish them, they explode bug goo all over your carpet. I get rid of them with the slide-the-cardboard-under-the-cup method, but you have to be pretty brave and/or p*ssed off at them for invading your space to even attempt this. But if you are brave (or mad), I would recommend that you flush them and watch them swirl to their swirly deaths, and gleefully think mean thoughts like, "So long, sucka, say hi to Poseidon for me!"

PS - I love your template... I just switched out of it! I'm Adrienne's friend and Lisa's internet stalker - just so you know. :)

mking2012 said...

METHOD FOR GETTING RID OF PESTS

1. Put on gloves, get paper towel

2. Grab pest with paper towel

3. Insert paper towel containing pest into toilet

4. Flush

5. Take off gloves, wash hands

6. Enjoy the rest of your day

Delta StaR said...

This is what just happened me to me:

This huge bug with wings started flying in my gaming room and I was scared shitless, thinking that it would eat me. What's worse, I was eating noodles for lunch at that time so I had to grab my food and ditch the flying terror in my gaming room. I even yelled "It's gonna DESTROY US ALL!!!!". My mom swatted it about 4 times, and she vaccumed it just to make sure it was dead. Now the vaccum is with me, but I'm not gonna be opening it when I have to clean it up...

Raquel said...

you guys are my new heross!! i now know how to kill any bug i come across!!!!!

Shelley said...

I know I'm late in the game here, but just came across your blog. What you're describing is a Palmetto Bug - otherwise known as a cockroach.

Explanation here:http://testosteronefilledworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-date-with-pushy-mr-palmetto.html

And you're not far off with the "it surviving a nuclear holocaust" scenario. These things have been around since before the dinosaurs and survived. They can and will indeed fly....

parlie anderson said...

I would like to say that your blog is well-written.It's nice to find a site you can trust.Visit http://www.pestmanagementinc.com this site was recommended by a friend so I tried it.Pest Control Austin

Anonymous said...

I have bad encounters with so many different types of bugs in my life that my sister calls me a bug magnet. I have gotten physically hurt trying to run from a moth and a bee. Recently I've grown a backbone and am now very handy with a fly-swatter. If you give them a good strike out of the air they will usually land someplace you can smack the life out of them. As for the crawlers piece of cake! Cleanup usually takes someone a lot braver.

Anonymous said...

I was taking a nap with my boyfriend one day and the sound of a neighbor with electric hedge clippers woke us. At least that's what I thought. My boyfried got up and casually walked out of the room while keeping his eyes to me. When he got to my kitchen he said "Can you come here a minute?" So I proceed to the kitchen where he just kisses me on the head, grabs his hat and walks back into my bedroom and smacks something with the hat. It was a prehistoric bee that made the hedge clipper noise. The largest bee I ever saw in my life. My boyfriend told me he didn't want me to panic so he led me away without drawing any attention to it. He told me that he was even freaked out by the size of that bee but he knew he had to do something. Thank God for brave men.

Anonymous said...

bugs are people too.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!

B-rad said...

YOU GOTTA BURN EM

SMASH EM

OR POISON EM

Hairspray simply wont work, unless there is a lit fire is front of it haha